Rather than start the KAL alongside the London Marathon, which was the original inspiration for the KAL, the KAL will start on July 1st 2019, and run through the summer (prime sock-knitting season) or until we have knitted the full 26 miles of yarn.
Do I have to knit the full 26 miles by myself? No, of course not! All you have to do is knit a pair of adult-sized socks, and add a photo of them to the finished object thread when they're done, noting the amount of yarn used. I'll add up all the yarn lengths from each entry, and we should quite quickly have knitted a marathon's worth of yarn.
I've opened a chatter thread in my Ravelry group, where you can start chatting about your plans for the KAL.
Until then, happy knitting.
Knit a Marathon's worth of socks: 26.219 miles of sock yarn converted into socks.
- Socks be cast-on on or after July 1st 2019
- Socks can be knitted or crocheted in any yarn weight
- All socks must have a proper heel (no yoga or tube socks)
- The KAL will close once the full 26 miles of yarn have been knitted
- You must post a photo of your pair of socks to the KAL FO thread, including the exact number of metres of yarn you used (to the nearest metre)
- I'll keep a running total for the group
- To be eligible for a prize, you must be a member of the Ravelry group
- If you're on Instagram, use the hashtag #marathonsockkal2019
- One prize drawn from #marathonsockkal2019 on Instagram
- One prize drawn from the chatter thread
- One prize drawn from the FO thread
*26.219 miles = 42 195 m; each of my pairs of socks uses approximately 300 m of yarn (assuming sock weight yarn at 400 m per 100 g)